5/31/2007

Had to Ask


May 30, 2007

I ran by Andrew Jackson for about an hour, last day of school. The last few grades are holding graduation today (Kindergarten, 5th and 6th grades are already done). Parents are everywhere. That’s a sight I hadn’t seen much at the school since coming in February. Sure, I see a number of them dropping their kids off and picking them up at the start and finish of every day. But there really hadn’t been any events or particular days where I noticed a high number of parents there at one time. I made mention of this to one of the teachers who I was saying goodbye to in her classroom, and she shook her head in agreement and told me how it really was unfortunate this year because with so many kids in the school (approx. 2060), it was never feasible to have anything that would have all the parents there at once. Just another in the long list of “things that aren’t normal around here” category.

Anyway, it was really nice to see smiling parents and excited kids. They all deserve this so much. Andrew Jackson re-opened in August, so this was the school’s first full year back post-Katrina. It was obviously an incredibly challenging and trying 10 months, and they all deserve a tremendous amount of credit, as well as a break. This school did a hell of a job given the circumstances it had to contend with, on so many levels.

Selfishly, I’m sad to see the year wind down. I’m going to be involved in the summer programs at the school, but it won’t be the same without all the kids and teachers there. I loved my time there, every single day I went, even if just for an hour. I’m going to miss that, going to miss seeing a lot of the kids, getting my hugs, hearing “Mr. Scott, Mr. Scott!” But that’s ok. The important thing is that today marked a huge milestone for the school system of St. Bernard’s Parish, and for the children, teachers and parents.

SPORTS TAKE OF THE DAY: I pray that Ken Griffey, Jr. somehow overtakes Barry Bonds in the All-Star voting. MLB started releasing totals this week, and Bonds sits third, Griffey fourth in balloting for the National League's starting outfield. Griffey was definitely a prima donna and whined quite a bit in his younger days, but he's been nothing short of a class act the last couple of years and clearly still appreciates the game. Most importantly, he's obtained his 570+ HRs without the aid of performance enhancing drugs. Griffey and his swing are welcome additions to any All-Star Game. Let the cheater sit home.

5 comments:

joeytaz said...

Much luv to the Donovan-less Gator-nation.

I won't get into why funds going to rebuilding can't seem to be hooked-up with folk willing to work for those funds (somebody is getting the money - pretty sure it's not our Gator-nation volunteer)
(wooo-hooo - your first posted comment is from one of your lefty friends - Fear the Turtle)

Keep your head up and yours eyes open and it'll all work out.

peace and luv

Scott Stolze said...

JoeyT--I know, while it doesn't hurt as much as when Spurrier left, this definitely stings. He had a great thing going there. Gator-Nation, as always, though, will survive.
By the way, was in Maryland two weeks ago visiting my brother, and guess who we saw at a lunch shop getting some coffee? Gary Williams. Yeah, I heard him talking...he was already lobbying for an NCAA bid in 2008!!
cry baby.

JKeeton said...

I commend your efforts in the rebuilding of the "Big Easy" Scott. Keep up the hard work. I made a career change to help out my community, I'm glad others are doing the same. I can't believe how much work still needs to be done. It dosent resonate anymore up here in the Northeast which is sad.

I'll try to pay a visit.

_ Keeton

THULL said...

Don't have Griffey go, have someone who deserves it like Jason Bay or Matt Holliday get the start. I hate the sentimental picks taking an all star start. By the way, Donovan having second thoughts and wants to stay at FLA.

Scott Stolze said...

Jason Bay? Give me a break! Griffey is having a pretty good year and I like watching him, what can I tell you.