5/31/2007

A Day in Jackson, MS



May 27, 2007

Taking a drive down the main street through Pearl, MS, I couldn’t help but notice all the Cash Advance and Loan stores. These are a staple of the south, but this place might have had the most I’ve ever seen, sometimes 3 to a block.

After taking in about 7 innings of today’s game – I sat down the right field line today, for $8 bucks, surrounded by a few hundred empty seats and the hot sun. I enjoyed it, though, as I used the time to start a new book, “The Smart Money: How the World’s Best Sports Bettors Beat the Bookies Out of Millions.” I know, just what a guy volunteering in the Gulf Coast with no steady income needed to be reading.

An Outdoors Store in Mississippi is the equivalent of a Whole Foods in San Francisco….oh so popular and en vogue.

I was in Jackson, well, technically Pearl, which meant I had to actually go to downtown Jackson, see the buildings and, most importantly, see the Capital. I’ve always been big on that, whenever I’m in a new city, that I have to at least drive or be downtown, even for a bit, even if it’s on a Sunday when it’s completely deserted.

I saw the Capital Building, and better yet, I even saw one homeless guy. What’s a downtown, any downtown, without at least one homeless guy looking for money. And he was looking for money. He tried coming up to my window at a red light, and I did what 999 out of every 1,000 other Americans do, and just looked straight ahead.

That was easy, though, compared to when I turned the wrong way down a one-way street, and almost went head on into a car. Thankfully, I was in the South, as the driver beeped just once but then stopped, smiled and waved me to the one-way sign and gestured that I back up. That happens in New York, or Boston, and this guy’s setting records for how many vulgarities can be uttered in one exchange.

That’s ok, though, the trip downtown was worth it. I got my pictures of the Capital, and I can now say that I’ve been to the city of Jackson, Mississippi. (By the way, and friends from back home will know what this means, Hartford is about twice the size of Jackson. ‘nough said!)

No comments: